A Collection of Collective Nouns for Birds
The contributors of Birding-Aus, an Australian forum about birding, have sometimes debated the relative collective nouns for birds. I recently discovered a list that seems fairly comprehensive and its on Wikipedia.
We all know about:
- a flock of geese
- a murder of crows
- a brood of hens
- a clutch of chicks
- a parliament of owls
I was rather surprised to read about:
- a wake of vultures (I just hope it’s not MY wake!)
- a pandemonium of parrots (the author of this one must have been thinking about either Galahs or Lorikeets)
- a quarrel of sparrows (isn’t that apt!)
- an exultation of skylarks (how poetic)
Finally, I will not accept this one, and even Wikipedia lists this as spurious.
- A gulp of Swallows!
- A List of Collective Nouns for Birds – Wikipedia.
- Birding-Aus – a forum for Australian birders