An alphabetical list of birds I like
When asked to name a favourite bird it is very hard picking just one or two species; I like so many different kinds of birds. Instead, I decided to list 26 Favourite Birds, one for each letter of the alphabet. I’ve also included a reason for my selection.
Birds I like:
- Apostlebirds – I love the way they work together as a family.
- Babblers – I love these clowns of the bird world.
- Chats – these beautiful little birds add a splash of colour to the Australian bush.
- Doves – especially the Peaceful Dove for its quiet, hypnotic call.
- Egrets – they are so graceful, so elegant, so patient and so white.
- Firetail Finches – so much stunning beauty packed in such a tiny body.
- Gannets – their amazing diving abilities while fishing wins them my Gold Medal every time.
- Harriers – their slow, patient searching for their next meal is so graceful.
- Ibis – seeing flocks of hundreds heading home to roost in the setting sun is an inspiring sight.
- Jacky Winters – their graceful flitting from a fence post to catch an insect on the wing deserves a place in poetry.
- Kingfishers – like a bright iridescent blue dart piercing the pond’s stillness.
- Lapwings – handsomely dressed like gentlemen going to the ball.
- Mistletoebirds – a splash of red in the drab leaves of a gum tree in the Australian bush.
- Nightjars – secretive by day but bold by night.
- Owls – deadly in their silent approach to prey.
- Pardalotes – such friendly and approachable residents of our garden.
- Quail – such beautiful, cryptic markings.
- Rainbow Bee-eaters – so many colours on just one bird.
- Sittellas – how do they hop along the underside of a branch?
- Terns – the masters of the wind and always such clean looking birds.
- Variegated Wrens – such brilliant colours.
- Whistlers – their powerful songs lift one’s spirits.
- Yellow Robin – a friendly ray of sunshine lighting up the bush.
- Zebra Finch – such cheerful little birds.
Okay – so I missed U and X.
I can’t think of any Australian birds starting with those letters.
Can anyone enlighten me?