How to be a lazy birder part 8
4 Comments »3rd January, 2007; Category: The lazy birder
This is part 8 in a series of article for The Lazy Birder.
Location: at your desk at work.
- Stop what you are doing.
- Look out through your office window.
- See if you can see any birds.
- Identify the birds you see (or hear).
- Dream a little about how nice it would be to be out watching birds in some exotic location.
- Slowly bring your attention back to the work you are supposed to be doing (if you can).
- Repeat the steps above as often as you require to remain sane.
- Make a list of the birds you see or hear.
- On second thoughts – if you do that it could be incriminating evidence that you are not working. Only you can assess the risk factor involved.
- Do not undertake this activity if you have a particularly observant boss.
- If YOU are the boss, then this activity is a good stress release.
- If you are not the boss, this is still a good stress release – but don’t get caught doing it. Or be creative in your response to being caught (eg “It was thinking time.”)
- This activity can be rather difficult if there is no window in your office. Using any kind of explosive device is not recommended and could be fatal.
Another useful series of 20 articles can be found by clicking on this link:
- How to be a birder – some hints.
The photo below has nothing to do with this article.
It’s a rather nice photo, isn’t it? Well, I think so.
Ah! Now, I tried this technique yesterday. I closed my office door (no open-plan at this place!), got out the binoculars and scanned the trees in the car park.
I heartily endorse it!
Good for you Snail – so pleased that you are taking my advice.
I have the advantage of having a mobile office at present. I’ve come out of retirement (temporarily only) and working full time for about four weeks for the local courier who is recovering from an operation. Amazing the birds one sees on the rounds of the district. But no binos! Or camera! [sigh].
What about when reading blogs about birding shows you haven’t been concentrating on work??
I’ve enjoyed the lazy birding contributions!
Also the other info and pics, too. Keep up the good work.
You must have read my mind – or sneaked a look in my computer. That very subject is to be covered in part 11 of this series scheduled to appear next week!!!
Thanks for the comments.